Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Golf Regional Recruiting Theory

Golf Terminology: 18 holes, a nine is usually played at 35 or 36 strokes for par. Fade: a shot that curved in a controlable fashion to the right, decent amateurs hit this shot. Draw: A shot that is curved in a controlabe fashion to the left. Natural shot of most professionals including Eldrick Woods, top cablalisan golfer.

Why the break down in golf terminology, I miss my high school days, ...please. Today, I hope is the near ending of 1L OCI (On Campus Interviewing), not that I'm pissed off, annoyed, or hurt by the fact that I went 0 for 5, and sat right back on the bench. I got mine already (that's another blog). I've been actually observing the whole thing in a bemusing manner. First of all, about 4 to 8 core people have gotten all the interviews, and then about a handful (say 5 to 9 other people) get some trickle down interviews (like one interview here, one there, with smaller firms, or public agencies). The core 4 to 8, show up in suits everyday, when the interviewers come to campus, like high school coaches scouting junior high players on the South side. (bad simile, but I feel I like I was due one.) I really can't hate on the 4 to 8, one of the guys worked really hard, so props to him. If I'm studying 3 to 5, with time left for listening to music, the White Rapper show, and blogging, my man is all up in the study lounge grinding, so respect. Other people, some of them are dry as hell, like an 80 year old woman in the middle of the Kalahari, dry, I wouldn't want to work with them, but hell, what do I know, like I'm hiring anybody. (My 2L friend, called one of the elite 8, "interview girl.") But for real, I'm satisfied with my position right now, especially after grades came out. I'll just have to be on some Mitch "Blood" Green shit and win the fight in the street, and lose it in 10 rounds in the ring.

Ok, I'm digressing, and two Watt/Thorn songs already and I haven't got to the point. What's so bemusing and borderline funny, is the people in my class with egos bigger than an Airbus, and they haven't gotten interviews. I can see the slight doubt and bleakness on their face. Now, some of my classmates, I am rooting for, others, I think its funny as hell, they come in all confident, and now they're being ignore. Because, in 1L OCI, only the top 10 to 15 percent will get interviews consistently, the rest, whether they're in the top 25%, top 60%, or bottom 5% will get ignored like an Asian man looking for a date. Shit is mad hilarious. It reminds me of the
199_ (I refuse to date myself) at (I can't remember this) either Crab Orchard Golf Club or Rend Lend Golf Course, though I'm pretty sure it was the latter. I was number 4 to 6 on my team, which included a guy who lost by two strokes to Eldrick Woods as a Junior, and an all conference member. By the Regionals of my junior year (it was at Crab Orchard, hell), I had slumped so badly that I was playing #6, with a butt ass early start time. After a beautiful draw for an opening drive (first shot), I bombed out on the front nine, shooting something that was close to Urlacher's number (I should've figure something was wrong as I still haven't figure out how to draw the ball, the fade is my shot). I regained some dignity with a 44 on the back nine. Of course, I missed sectionals by about 18 to 24 shots. J (see the law school practice of using initials, since the people don't really matter), J who was playing #5 also bombed out, shooting a number that was around my range.

Our #1, two time defending state champion, shot the worse round of his competitive life, and miss Sectionals ! I think he was burned out from the summer National junior circuit, and just lost focus. Our, number 2, always been in the shadow of #1, blistered the front nine with a round in the mid 30s, all he had to do was shoot a 41-43, and he was in there ("in there"), he limped home with a 45 or 44, and miss sectionals by 2 or 3 shots, distraught and near tears. In the van ride back, our #1 was rather chipper for someone who was wasn't going to defend his title. (I mean, a package to the Naval Academy helps.) We started talking, and J told our #2, unsympathetically, something like "Fuck it, H, it doesn't matter if you missed Sectionals by 2 shots, or you missed it by 20 shots like me, you ain't fuckin' goin'" deadpan. H chuckled in an yeah, mutherfucker, shut the fuck up, 'cos it hurts laughing way. I laughed, and so did the other two players (#3 and #4), and J said it about two more times. "It doesn't fuckin' matter, that you miss by two shots, or 20, bottom line is you ain't goin'."

And that's the beauty of 1L OCI, it doesn't fuckin' matter if you're in the top 25 % or the bottom 5%, you ain't getting the fuckin' interviews. fuck it, its hillarious as hell, watching some of my classmates mope like H (player #2). get over it, you ain't getting the fuckin' interviews.

now, ain't that sexy like Tyra circa 1998, and its real like she is circa 2006, National Enquirer too.

Got some work done, but could've done more, what's new. still haven't watched the White Rapper Show I taped. Hallelujah, holla back.

And tracey sings, "big deal.......what you think she feels......big deal....what is it you want to feel, I don't think you want to feel....."

Feel me?

No comments: